Whatever set of problem one encounters, one will always look for ways to recover from these problems. What if you or someone close to you gets tangled in the problem of chemical dependency or in any kind of disorder? What will you do?
Nowadays, there are many treatment centers readily available to help anyone recover from different kinds of disorder. Usually, this treatment centers would need you to admit yourself in an institution where you can be observed by your attending physician. You collect no parts from the outside world, leaving your work or whatever it is that you do in idle.
Once a patient is released from being admitted to an institution, the problem of getting back to the normal routine comes in. Intensive Outpatient Program now comes to the rescue.
What is Intensive Outpatient Program or IOP? This is a type of program being used highly as a treatment service. It is a treatment service for individuals who wants to get out from the problems of chemical dependency. This kind of clinical service has been developed during the early 1900s as a way of a reaction to the popular managed care institutions. In this kind of program, the patient is given a more severe level of treatment compared to the level of treatment that was normally accessible for outpatients.
How does IOP works? Usually, there is one physician leading individuals being grouped together. Regularly, the group meets with the physician 2 to 5 times a week for 2 to 3 hours at a time. In this kind of program, patients and the physician work hand in hand to accomplish successful treatment. The patient is being asked over on her goals and objectives which will be included by the physician on the patient’s treatment plan. This working hand in hand creates sensation of control not just for the physician but also for the patient. The perception of being in control creates a positive outlook according to numerous studies. In most cases, positive outlook leads to positive results.
What are the advantages does IOP brings? Aside from giving the patient treatment while not taking them away from their regularl routine, it also improves management of stress, compliance in treatment, achieving goals, and coping skills. Also, this program also takes into account the relationship between the patient and the family. What’s more special about this program is its way of treatment. It takes into account the special need of the individual. Whatever special needs you think is necessary for you, you can always find and IOP program that will suit you.
There are many features of an IOP program. However, common programs can always include the following:
• The Counseling of the Individual. In this program, a counselor is being allotted to an individual that would cater for his or her recovery.
• The Counseling of the Family. One of the most affected in an individual’s disorder is its own family. In this kind of IOP program, the family will be well-informed about the disorder being inflicted on their loved one. Thus in the process, creates a supportive relationship for the patient.
• Group Counseling. This type of program creates hope, consideration and the perceptive that they are not alone in this battle.
• Disorder Education. The patient and the family are given here different workshops and knowledge concerning whatever disorder they are facing and the how can they be able to recover.
• 12 Step Programs. This is the very popular program known for its use of the 12 steps.
In most cases of chemical dependency, IOP is believed to be more helpful than individual therapies according to numerous specialists. Although on an interesting note, IOP can also be used on another type of problems such as eating disorders and so on. However, the thing that really matters is that for the individual to recover. After all, in this kind of difficulty, you can never tell when you will be afflicted.
Intensive Outpatient Program is very helpful in treatment of borderline personality disorders, eating disorders, self-injury, chronic mental illness, as well as many others despite its popularity in addiction treatment.